[tor-talk] Tips for configuring and using Tor for anonymous Bitcoin usage?

author at anonymousbitcoinbook.com author at anonymousbitcoinbook.com
Thu Oct 3 17:45:22 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I'm writing a book about the use of Bitcoin and anonymity. A fair
portion of the book will be dedicated to teaching people how to most
safely use Tor to facilitate anonymity with Bitcoin. Are there any
special tips that people have for configuring Tor or using Tor when it
comes to Bitcoin?

Right now, I'm recommending the use of a LiveCD Linux distro (Ubuntu)
with TorBundle for Linux and the vanilla Bitcoin client for Linux. A
couple tips I'm already aware of are to disable JavaScript before using
(since NoScript currently defaults to being on :() and to avoid
downloading files through the web browser such as PDF documents.

In particular, I'm curious 1) if there needs to be special
configuration to ensure that all DNS request go through Tor, and 2)
whether I can configure the system not to send any internet message
except through the Tor proxy.

Regards,
Kristov