[tor-talk] Open Source Router

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Fri Nov 29 17:24:40 UTC 2013

On 27/11/2013 10:25 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 17:59:39 -0600
> Ed Fletcher <ed at fletcher.ca> wrote:
>
>> There has been lots of discussion on this list about the Safeplug, which
>> didn't garner much enthusiasm from the list members.  I haven't seen
>> this project mentioned:
>>
>> http://www.orp1.com/
>>
>> An open-source software and hardware router for Tor, vpn, etc.  Being
>> open-source, it eliminates a lot of the concerns expressed about the
>> Safeplug.  The downside is it costs US$400.
>
> You can make yourself an open-source router by flashing OpenWRT to any of the
> hundreds of OpenWRT's supported models. Or if you are really serious and by
> "open source router" mean it also must be Open Hardware, then there should be
> still much cheaper options available. For example this board[1], can be
> combined with any VLAN-capable switch and act as a perfectly capable router
> (although this particular model does not have gigabit LAN).
>
> [1]
> http://olimex.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/a10-olinuxino-lime-eur-30-open-source-hardware-linux-sbc-first-prototypes/

I haven't looked at OpenWRT in quite a while.  I'll take another look at
it.  Thanks for the pointer.

I also have a Raspberry Pi that is currently, um, underutilized.  The
lack of Gigabit ethernet isn't an issue on the external connection.

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher

"If you are not paying for it, you're not the
customer; you're the product being sold."
-- Andrew Lewis, August 26, 2010