[tor-talk] Open Source Router

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Fri Nov 29 17:18:37 UTC 2013

On 27/11/2013 6:27 PM, Mirimir wrote:
> On 11/27/2013 04:59 PM, Ed Fletcher wrote:
>> There has been lots of discussion on this list about the Safeplug, which
>> didn't garner much enthusiasm from the list members.  I haven't seen
>> this project mentioned:
>>
>> http://www.orp1.com/
>>
>> An open-source software and hardware router for Tor, vpn, etc.  Being
>> open-source, it eliminates a lot of the concerns expressed about the
>> Safeplug.  The downside is it costs US$400.  It's being crowd-funded via
>> Indigogo and they are seeking $200,000 to get it going.  I really don't
>> know if they will be successful or not.  Too early to tell.
>>
>> It seems to me that a project similar to DD-WRT but specifically aimed
>> at providing Tor would be a _lot_ less expensive.
>>
>> What I do find encouraging is the number of Tor related projects that
>> are springing up in the aftermath of the NSA revelations.
>
> I've found that pfSense works well as a Tor gateway. But I haven't taken
> the time yet to tighten pf rules, or attempt building the latest Tor
> release in FreeBSD.

Some years ago I used a computer as a router.  No hard disk inside,
booted off a write-protected floppy with Coyote Linux on it.  It worked
fine but it sucked electricity and made way too much noise.

So I like the small dedicated routers, just not for $400.

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher

"If you are not paying for it, you're not the
customer; you're the product being sold."
-- Andrew Lewis, August 26, 2010