[tor-talk] Pogoplug as a new twist on a good idea

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Wed Nov 27 20:48:00 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:44:04 -0800
accountability at bitmessage.ch wrote:

> Several have posted about setting up Pogoplug or Raspberry Pi as a
> dedicated Tor relay, but I wanted to suggest a related potential
> opportunity for contributing to Tor from your university, office, etc. for
> less than $50 because it may be more inconspicuous and offer more
> resources (1.6Ghz dual-core + 1-2GB RAM are common) for running Tor:
>
> 1. Pick up an Android "stick" computer (basically a tablet without a
> screen), many of which run on USB power and typically offer:
> -built-in wi-fi and compatibility with USB gigabit ethernet adapters
> -ability to run CyanogenMod or Replicant in some cases

Many of those sticks run regular GNU/Linux distributions as well.

E.g. an Allwinner A10-based* "MK802" stick easily boots regular Debian armhf
(or Arch or Fedora) from an SD card: http://linux-sunxi.org/Bootable_OS_images

No need to bother with any of the Android b/s. And it costs $35 shipped:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=MK802+A10&opensearch=true

* there is also a dual-core A20 variant, but that one may be a bit less widely
  supported with the hobbyist GNU/Linux efforts.

--
With respect,
Roman