[tor-talk] Why my relay doesn't get any traffic and doesn't show up in the list torstatus.blutmagie.de ?

Michael Wolf mikewolf53 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 20:06:22 UTC 2013

On 11/21/2013 2:53 PM, Yuri wrote:
> On 11/21/2013 03:02, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>> 'No messages'? So you don't even get any messages like...
>
> No, I meant there are no errors or warnings in log. Tor relay appears to
> start normally, self test messages are all there.
> Now, after several hours, it is listed on torstatus.blutmagie.de with a
> very low bandwidth 2KB/s, and my connection is ~50Mbps.

Blutmagie isn't "real-time".  A better resource for checking your status
would be https://metrics.torproject.org/relay-search.html
Note that this is also not "real-time", but shows the results of the
hourly census for a given relay, and tends to update approximately 30
minutes past the hour.

Also, the bandwidth shown is not the actual bandwidth, but a weighted
number that represents how well your relay delivers bandwidth in
comparison to other relays with similar claimed bandwidths.  Since it is
a new relay, the bandwidth has probably not been measured by the
"bandwidth authorities".  See this for more info:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

> "View network" shows several connections, but they are just very slow.
>
> One bothering thing is that many messages are repeated 3 times for some
> reason, see below.
>
> So here locally there is no visible indication of any issues, tor as
> client also works fine. The only problem, is no bandwidth through relay.

This is normal.  It takes time before clients see your relay listed in
the consensus, and until your bandwidth has been measured your relay
will have a very low probability of being chosen for circuits.

> The most bothersome message in log is this:
> Nov 21 11:50:54.000 [notice] We weren't able to find support for all of
> the TLS ciphersuites that we wanted to advertise. This won't hurt
> security, but it might make your Tor (if run as a client) more easy for
> censors to block.
> Nov 21 11:50:54.000 [notice] To correct this, use a more recent OpenSSL,
> built without disabling any secure ciphers or features.
>
> Could this be the reason? But the message itself says this isn't a
> critical issue.
>
> Yuri

It's not the issue -- it's just saying you have an old version of
OpenSSL which can't support things like elliptical curve cryptography
and TLS 1.1/1.2.  You might consider using an OS like Debian Wheezy,
which has a later version of OpenSSL.