[tor-talk] Gmail account without phone number

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Nov 20 20:38:26 UTC 2013

On 11/20/2013 11:24 AM, Yo Mamma wrote:
> Hey Joe,
> The conditions were:
> 1) No Tor
> 2) Chrome Browser
> 3) Regular ISP
> 2) Registered from Canada
>
> I just went to their login page, and clicked on sign up for an account link.
>
> Then I just filled in all the fields EXCEPT the phone number and
> alternative email fields (I have tried it both filled in and without and it
> works for both).
>
> And then clicked next and I was auto logged in to my Google account.
> >From there I went to Gmail and used it send this email out.
>
> I have done another test using Tor (from the Tor Browser Bundle) and this
> time Gmail did ask me to verify using a phone number and would not let me
> get through.
Thanks.  You mean you already have a Google acct & kept google cookies,
since you "were auto logged in?"

No expert, but I'm guessing the problem most have creating a Gmail acct
w/o a phone #, is not when they:
- already have a google acct (& have cookies from previous session);
- have browser cookies and?, so they'd automatically be logged into a
google acct;
- use Chrome.

With all those, there's may be little question in google's mind, who /
where / when you are or have been?

Yes, using Tor - you're a "mystery" to them, or at least they can't
track you, so probably will ask for a phone.

You probably knew, but others should be aware that using google &
expecting anonymity isn't the best idea.
That's one reason they make it hard to open a Gmail acct using Tor.