[tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle ignores /etc/hosts

stl Rivercat stlrivercat at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 09:24:55 UTC 2013

TBB 2.3.25-14 wont use /etc/hosts on my Slackware 13.1.
Even though my usual (non-Tor) Firefox does obey /etc/hosts.
The hosts file just contains ad-server redirects to 127.0.0.1.
The Tor browser goes straight through to the actual ad site.

I checked host.conf, nsswitch.conf & resolv.conf and I think they're OK.
I searched the web and the tor-talk archives and NOBODY has had this problem.
Maybe there's an about:config in the Tor browser to check?

I know that browsers will ignore /etc/host when going to a proxy, but
that is different than tor's relays, right?