[tor-talk] Private email

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Fri Nov 15 23:42:16 UTC 2013

On 13-11-15 01:18 AM, Missouri Anglers wrote:
> In my attempt to set up a secure anonymous email system I thought it might be easier to sign up for a free web based email account while using the TOR browser.
> Do you know how hard it is to do that with java script disabled?
> I must have tried 30-40 different places such as yahoo, gmail, gmx, hotmail, etc.... No java script, no account.
> I assumed if I signed up while using the TOR browser then they would never have an IP address associated with the email address.
> I finally found "ATLAS.CZ" which let me sign up without java script enabled.
> However during the process I realized the "CAPTCHA" code they wanted me to retype was using symbols I did not have on my keyboard.
> I finally solved that problem and now have a working email address (in Czech) that has never been exposed to my real IP address. (I was using TOR browser through the entire process)
> My question is,
> Can I count on being anonymous if I continue using the TOR browser to log into the web based account and send emails? (java script is always disabled).

Normally yes, but in this case maybe not.  You used a Gmail address to
publicly reveal that you recently signed up at a particular obscure
provider.  This Gmail address and your new .cz address are going to be
easy to correlate, if any of your adversaries are watching Atlas.cz.

What you do while using TBB and your new "anonymous" webmail address is
just as important as whether you use it with TBB or Microsoft Internet
Explorer.