[tor-talk] Is it possible to access healthcare.gov through Tor?

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Nov 12 23:53:45 UTC 2013

On 11/12/2013 09:44 AM, Michael Wolf wrote:

> On 11/12/2013 11:43 AM, Phil Mocek wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 1:57, bao song wrote:
>>> Is it possible to access the [healthcare.gov] site with any Tor
>>> exit nodes?
>>
>> I have no reason to believe that it has been attempted from every Tor
>> exit node, but [other people and I][1] have tried multiple times and had
>> no success.
>>
>>  [1]: <https://twitter.com/search?q=healthcare.gov%20tor&f=realtime>
>>

> You can't even access the site if you run a non-exit relay from your own
> IP address.  I reported this in September:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-September/030023.html

This issue comes up frequently. Typically there's hand-wringing, calls
for better PR, suggestions that most everyone run exit nodes, etc.

Why not just tell people to use a proxy? Sure, it reduces their
anonymity somewhat. But it doesn't reduce it as much as complaining via
email or telephone.

I don't get it.