[tor-talk] More and more websites block Tor, which will eventually become useless!

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Nov 10 20:57:18 UTC 2013

On 11/10/2013 2:12 PM, Akater wrote:
> Actually I wonder why tor users seem to be convinced it's a bad idea.... Am I missing something?
Yes, from what I've seen reported several times on this list, you're
missing that even being approached or brought in for "questioning" by
LEAs, threatened by lawyers -  can be extremely stressful & potentially
expensive.
A good many don't want to risk something like that.  Most people I know
have quite enough problems w/o taking the *chance* that something like
that happens.

If... it happens to you, can be all consuming for a time.  Go back &
read some tales of that were dragged to the police station, had their
computers seized, threatened w/ serious charges - on & on.
They were genuinely scared & probably rightly so - even if in the end,
there is no jail time or large loss of monies.  I would be.

Some spouses couldn't / wouldn't stand for that kind of stress, more
than once.
Some employers might "find a way" to dismiss workers, if they found out
an employee is being investigated.  People are fired everyday for far
less.  Yes, the employers often cite other reasons.  In lots of places &
lot of states (in U.S.), they don't NEED a reason to fire ("let go; lay
off") workers.

If thousands ran exit nodes - could LEAs / lawyers "get" them all or
make all their lives miserable, for a time?  Probably not.
But the crocodile doesn't have to catch all the antelope to strike fear
into the rest of them.  That's how terrorists operate - making an
example of a few & striking fear into thousands, millions.
Why use that analogy to describe actions of the powers that be - in many
situations?  If the reason has to be spelled out...