[tor-talk] TorBirdy 0.1.2 released - Our third beta release!

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Nov 4 11:55:23 UTC 2013

Greetings from Berlin!

TorBirdy 0.1.2 is now out; we think it is the the best release so far
and we encourage you to upgrade.

This release is the third in our beta series.

It's still experimental - of course. Use at your own risk and especially
if you're using it with Enigmail and GnuPG without a local[0] HTTP proxy.

We've continued with updating the web page to show some TorBirdy screen
shots:

 https://github.com/ioerror/torbirdy/wiki/Screen-shots

Call for help:

We're looking for assistance with Translations - if you'd like to
translate TorBirdy, we'd gladly accept a patch that prepares TorBirdy
for translation work. We now have an amazing number of translations!
Even if you can't help translate, we'd love to know what languages
matter to you or your friends - please let us know?

We're especially looking for translations of TorBirdy into
Persian - if you'd like to help us translate, please contact us!

Release Highlights:

0.1.2, 04 Nov 2013
  New options:
    restore default TorBirdy settings
    toggle checking of new messages automatically for all accounts
  The minimum version of Thunderbird we now support is 10.0 (closes #9569)
  `--throw-keyids' is now disabled by default (closes #9648)
  We are no longer forcing Thunderbird updates (closes #8341)
  Add support for Thunderbird 24 (Gecko 17+) (closes #9673)
  Enhanced support for Thunderbird chat
  We have a new TorBirdy logo. Thanks to Nima Fatemi!
  Improved documentation:
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy
  Add new translations and updated existing ones
    Please see the Transifex page for more information and credits

General content anonymity caution note:

TorBirdy has known leaks in the Message-ID and in the Date header, we're
working on merging an upstream patch that will allow these leaks to be
closed. There are no known proxy leaks unless you use additional
extensions that do not respect the proxy settings of Thunderbird. If you
use GnuPG and Enigmail, we encourage you to use it with a local HTTP
proxy due to the issues mentioned[0] regarding GnuPG.

Here's the wiki page for TorBirdy:

  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy

Here's the latest XPI for TorBirdy:

  https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbirdy/torbirdy-0.1.2.xpi

Here is a proper GPG signature for the latest XPI:

  https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbirdy/torbirdy-0.1.2.xpi.asc

Here is the sha1sum of torbirdy-0.1.1.xpi:

  ca7321cdaf16fb4f1d5d3e96289877ebc275559f

The GnuPG signature that signed this email is also the same key that
signs the TorBirdy releases. To learn more about signature verification
of Tor Project related software such as TorBirdy please visit this page:

  https://www.torproject.org/docs/verifying-signatures.html

The plugin on AMO has been preliminarily reviewed and we are still in
the review process. It is again possible (Hooray!) to install TorBirdy
directly from Thunderbird or by downloading the extension in a web
browser from Mozilla's website:

  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/torbirdy/

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/232997/torbirdy-0.1.2-tb.xpi

We believe that users who installed previous versions from Mozilla's
addons site should receive this update automatically. It may take some
time before Mozilla approves this update but it should eventually show
up as an available update.

We now upload a full XPI and GnuPG signature for every new release to
the Tor Project's web servers:

  https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbirdy/

All the best,
Jacob