[tor-talk] Kaspersky still interferes with SSL port 443 sites

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sat Nov 2 11:08:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 11/01/2013 07:49 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> I could add TBB, vidalia and Tor.exe to KIS's "do not monitor
> application's activity" and / or "do not scan (this application's)
> network activity"  list, but that defeats purpose of having the protection.

What kind of "protection" do you expect from this, anyway?

> Could be a weird KIS bug affecting TBB, that stopping / restarting KIS
> somehow fixes it temporarily (consistently).  That'd be fairly unusual.

Unusual? Problems like this are very usual with any kind of filtering,
especially stuff like KIS that hooks into any traffic. Tor Browser
communicates with local Tor using SOCKS, and Tor wraps the HTTP(S)
request in its own protocol. Sounds like KIS messes with SOCKS in
strange ways.

Internet "protection" is hard, and is doomed to create problems like
this. Don't expect too much help here, my guess is that in this
community only very few people are interested in closed source software
that messes with traffic and offers snakeoil "protection".

Moritz