[tor-talk] A question about hidden services and tor in general

DeveloperChris developerchris at rebel.com.au
Sat Nov 2 00:16:38 UTC 2013

I just reviewed the tor hidden services page. so I am pretty green about the
way it works.

 From the description I gather this

When a client wants to connect to a hidden service an introducer picks a
random rendezvious point which then is used to shuttle packets back and
forth between the client and the hidden service.

If I wanted to discover the location of the hidden service is it not simple
to act as the rendezvious point? If I had enough resources and flooded tor
with nodes eventually one of my nodes would be chosen as the rendezvious
point and therefore I have the client IP (me) the rendezvious point ip (me)
and the supposedly hidden services ip (target).

Then to cover my tracks I spread a story about how the target left clues in
facebook pages etc etc..

How does tor prevent this type of attack?

Please keep the replies civil. I know there is one in every crowd. don't be
that one.

DC