[tor-talk] Thunderbird and TorBirdy not using SOCKS5?

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 03:38:24 UTC 2013

antispam06 at sent.at:

> I downloaded TorBirdy 0.1.1. Than I installed clean Thunderbird from
> PortableApps.com. Made sure nothing is called or installed before
> TorBirdy. Than I have set up my account. A few of them actually. Than I
> installed some extra extensions. TorBirdy is not used for
> life–theatening situations.
>
> Today I have noticed that Vidalia tells me about an application, that is
> Thunderbird because of the connection time, connects to IPs and that app
> should use SOCKS4a or SOCKS5. That explains why the accounts using a
> hidden service never worked.
>
> Are the other extensions messing Thunderbird up? It's the latest
> upgrade. The TB extension was not tweaked. The network connection is
> well set to use SOCKS5.

Which version of Thunderbird are you using? If it is Thunderbird 24,
TorBirdy 0.1.1. is not compatible with it. We will be releasing a new
version in the coming week that adds support for Thunderbird 24.

Till that time, your best bet is to use Thunderbird 17. In fact, it
would be great if you can try it with TB 17 just to confirm that the
issue doesn't lie elsewhere.

If it still doesn't work, please file a bug report
[https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy/dev].

--
Sukhbir