[tor-talk] TOR Portable & Mozilla Add-ons

Griffin Boyce griffinboyce at gmail.com
Sun May 26 02:04:52 UTC 2013

Luca Mastino <luca.mastino95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, can you suggest me a way to use hop proxies? (I suppose that you
> mean changing my browser settings, right?)
> I tried to set a proxy but it's not working, since programs like Geotool
> tell me I'm in Sardinia - as usual.

Honestly, I would use a VPN like proxy.sh or buy private proxies (to then
use with an extension like FoxyProxy).  Proxies and VPNs frequently "fail
open," meaning that you don't realize that it has failed since you're still
able to visit websites.  Public/free proxies and VPNs are especially
problematic.  If you're trying to bypass a content filter on a website like
YouTube, a VPN makes sense.  But if you're subject to censorship in your
country, or are an activist, or have serious privacy concerns, Tor is a far
better choice.

BUT, to answer your original question, the easiest way to add extensions is
to just navigate to the FireFox extension website and add them from
there.[1]  Alternate: download the extension (it's an "xpi" file), then
drag and drop it onto an open Tor Browser Bundle window.  You can also
import bookmarks.[2]

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/extensions/
[2]
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

best,
Griffin

--
Technical Program Associate, Open Technology Institute
#Foucault / PGP: 0xAE792C97 / OTR: saint at jabber.ccc.de