[tor-talk] Tragedy of the commons.

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri May 24 19:48:27 UTC 2013

On 24 May 2013 15:36, Chris Patti <cpatti at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understood the legal implications.  See my above note about the abuse
> report from Linode.
>
> I'm not complaining, just noting that it's unfortunate that folks have to
> abuse things.

In my opinion the tragedy here is not that people abuse Tor, because
everything will be abused.  It's that providers will allow themselves to be
bullied, and then bully others, when behavior falls into the bucket of
"legal, but annoying".  If they SWIPed the IP, this could be averted
easily, and remove Linode from having to deal with the complaints at all,
but they won't do that either.

-tom (who also uses Linode for his server, but runs it as a middleman)