[tor-talk] [OT] rewriting a text

Zebro kojos zebro.kojos at gmail.com
Sat May 18 19:43:36 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM, NoName <antispam06 at sent.at> wrote:

> I just took the paragraph from above. I put it through google translate
> from English to Croatian. Copy and Paste from the right panel to the left
> panel and back to English. The result is the same. Insignifiant
> differences. See below. Or I don't know. I was expecting a more dramatic
> change. And it loses readability. Add to that the fact that google would
> store for an indefinite time all these versions.

You are quite right, the absolute majority of syntactic structure prevailed
in this case. I did some experimentation now, it generally seems that
either significant portions of the same phrases are preserved (it attests
to the relative quality of the translation engine I suppose - doing proper
longer-phrase<->phrase translations), or it comes out as something too
unreadable. Had an interesting result after trying a larger portion of text
(from Alice in Wonderland - always good to have it on hand - [1]) on
english -> german -> arab -> latin -> english - a change of third->first
person in a part of the text, etc. But overall rather disappointing indeed.
:(

[1]: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28885/28885.txt