[tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

NoName antispam06 at sent.at
Fri May 17 20:59:18 UTC 2013

On 17.05.2013 19:50, David Vorick wrote:
> Except I think that in this case Tor is a bit more like a gun than a screw
> driver. The good purposes aren't always obvious and the nefarious purposes
> are on the forefront of public attention a lot more. It's not a perfect
> analogy but I think you see what I'm getting at.

It's amusing to see this over and over. And it's only a byproduct of how
our minds and culture perceive things. It's always about good ol' times
and about how the new things could sake the foundations of society to
the point of breaking it. Than it becomes normal and people believe
things were always like that.

Take the steam engine. It was the devil's work. Mixing fire and water!
That was against the creation itself. But it turned out to be quite
practical. The Internet in general isn't any different. Only that banks
have discovered they can fire half the tellers by launching Internet
banking. So it was good business. And their short opening hours became
24/7. Is Internet bad? No! Of course not! No pedo would have the nerve
to use the Internet. Why? Because banks and governments do.

Was the steam engine used by the bad guys? Of course. Most of the early
adopters were probably under the broad classification of bad guys.
Because serfs weren't even allowed to travel in some countries. And
noble men were not so eager to spend a lot of money on that. But generic
bad guys were ready to spend a pretty penny to gain some speed and
confort. Guess what! Two centuries after, bad guys still use mass
transportation. Most of them.

What about the phone? It was hard to get. It was expensive. In a poor
neighbourhood was cheaper to send some child running. For longer
distances there was the postal service. And for a quick delivery there
was the telegraph. And all of them had a good network that could reach
places where there was no phone line a century later. But creative bad
guys saw the potential and started using it. For that you now have the
so called lawful interception. Because most bad guys were using the
phone. And they were using it more than the student son calling his
momma. Mobile phones? So large they needed a car to make them portable?
The G1. The bad guys had those too. And they were using them to
coordonate and organise. Gee! The same end of the world scenario stupid
press announces for Twitter. Only those radio phones were easy to
intercept. Did the bad guys drop them? Heck no! They started using code
words.

3d printers? Well, they can make guns! Big guns! That kill innocent
people. Have you noticed the dead are always innocent? Even that b****
Tatcher was an angel. Same went for bittorrent. Now they are using it to
push the distribution of movies to digital cinemas, to infect your PC
with paid closed source software. So today not all torrents are
criminal. And ISPs don't block bt ports anymore. Wait a bit for the 3d
printers. When Lego would distribute its silly toys by making you pay
for the plastic too it would be a nice thing abused by some script kiddies.

> The purpose of Tor is to liberate people from state control and censorship.
> Informally, the purpose of Tor is to help people break rules. We support
> Tor because we want oppressive rules to be broken but ultimately it's an
> anarchist tool, and that's something that's not going to sit well with the
> public.

Don't be such a child!

State control? How about ISP control? How about corporate control? How
about abusive partners or parents? In those countries called not–free by
the corporate media children walk around free. They even have to work
and be treated as adults from an early age. Even when the village is
next to the minefield they go working in the morning and return home at
night. And that's no video game. At the same time, in the free world as
the press likes to intelectually masturbate children are under house
arrest. They are under total control. Want to chat with your 4th grade
colleague to prepare the homework? Want to use that new and wonderful
skill of writing? Now get adult supervision! Under 13 or 17 or 18 or 21?
Your account can be terminated. Parents install filtering software and
want access to social media accounts and passworded diaries. What could
seem exagerated for 1984 is daily life for some kids in the
industrialised world.

The purpose of Tor is not to break rules. Is to offer privacy. And guess
what? Most private people don't break any rules.

Oppresive rules are not broken by Tor. See, Even FBI and DEA are using it.

And anarchism is not about that. Good timing with grafitti can be much
more valuable.

But it's funny that you use the term public, after all that flag waving.
Most people I've met use the term public or masses as a way of putting
themselves above the crowds.

Cheers!