[tor-talk] HTML5 video and Tor anonymity.

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Wed May 1 20:42:12 UTC 2013

David Vorick:
> I don't know what I'm talking about, but here goes:
>
> If you were to put flash in a "sandbox" that had a fake IP address, might
> that make the sandbox incompatible with the tor network?

That depends on the sandbox. If it does it right, it can be fully NATed
and enforce proxy obedience as well.

> When you are
> communicating, even over the tor network, your IP address is critical so
> that servers on the other end know where to send messages. That means that
> at the very least you have to know your own IP address. If the flash
> sandbox had a false address, the network might reject communication
> altogether, or it might simply be unable to return the messages to the
> right spot.
>
> Am I incorrect?

No. When using an Isolating Proxy, the Workstation doesn't know it's own
external IP address and can't find out (without breaking out using
exploits). The Gateway can find out it's own external IP address and
runs Tor. See:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/IsolatingProxy