[tor-talk] Stem Release 1.0

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sun Mar 31 03:03:54 UTC 2013

Hi all. After eighteen months of work and a number of delays rivaling
that of the Big Dig I'm pleased to announce the initial release of
stem!

For those who aren't familiar with it, stem is a python controller
library for tor. With it you can write scripts and applications that
interact with your tor client or relay. For some examples of what you
can do see the tutorials on...

https://stem.torproject.org/

Stem is compatible with python 2.6 and higher (including the 3.x
series), and is a near complete implementation of tor's control and
directory specifications. It has relatively high test coverage (~80%
for most modules) and integration tests to check its continued
interoperability with new releases of tor.

As always, if you encounter issues or have feature requests then
please let me know! Also, if you write something that uses stem then
please tell me, both so we can continue to improve our API and expand
the tutorial's list of examples.

Many thanks to everyone that helped make this initial release of stem
possible, both with its development and packaging! -Damian