[tor-talk] Tor Flashproxy Badge as Firefox Extension

Christian Sturm reezer at reezer.org
Mon Mar 25 20:31:33 UTC 2013

Am 25.03.2013 19:08, schrieb Sebastian G. <bastik.tor>:
> 23.03.2013 19:31, Christian Sturm:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I really like Cupcake for Chrome and recommended it to many friends.
>> However, I didn't have a simple way to do this on Firefox, so I thought
>> I'd create something like that.
>>
>> Since I never ever created an extension before and it's really just a
>> few lines of code that should turn on the cookie and adds the badge it
>> doesn't look really good.
>>
>> Currently it's basically what the iframe does (+adding the flashproxy
>> browser cookie, so it still works, should it become opt-in only). I hope
>> it is helpful to people using Firefox and want a quick way to become a
>> relay. Sorry it doesn't look really good yet.
>>
>> I might put the code on GitHub or so later.
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/tor-flashproxy-badge/
>
> Hi,
>
> thank you for creating an addon for this.
>
> There's a spelling mistake for the German description.
>
> "Warhscheinlich hilfe ein Neustart von Firefox."
> should be
> "Wahrscheinlich hilft ein Neustart von Firefox."

Thank you, I will fix that.

> I don't know if it's Mozilla or Firefox, but XPIs are meant to be
> installed. Right click and "Save as.." doesn't work. You have to use
> another browser to download the xpi in order to inspect it.
>
> Nothing personal. I can't read code and would not notice anything
> strange, although I wouldn't expect anything nasty inside.

The code should be viewable. I think you can open it like a zip.

> Do you know if the folder "addon-sdk" is required? It's the largest part
> of the addon.

Well, I did it using the Addon-SDK, which is recommended for various
reasons. I will see how it develops in future.

> I gave it a try and it works fine I guess.

I am not sure, whether it works anymore. Somehow the button turns black,
which could be a general problem with Flashproxy though. No Firefox
support? Maybe use another library? I wonder whether socket.io or sockjs
could be used, since they allow fallbacks. Would be really interesting.

> The addon appears to set a cookie for the path
> "/flashproxy/"
> while the options page set a cookie for the path
> "/"

Oh? I thought cookies were domainwide. I will have a look on it.

> This makes it impossible to disable the proxy on its option page. Since
> your cookie contains a "1" all the time. The cookie from the option page
> might be "1" or "0", while "0" gets ignored if your cookie is also present.

I noticed this too. Cool, now I know how to fix it.

> According to the addon "addons memory" it takes around 5.60 MB of
> memory. Can this be optimized?

Maybe related to the SDK. I will have a look on it, once I have more time.

> Thank you for creating the extension.

Thanks so much for testing and providing feedback! :)