[tor-talk] Mail services: Hotmail / Live, Outlook

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Mar 15 22:34:09 UTC 2013

On 3/15/2013 4:04 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> Hotmail / Live will lock you out for traveling.
> Attempts to self recover will create a ticket for human review.
> They are thus NOT recommended for Tor users.
> Though untested, presumably this failure extends to their new Outlook service.
>
> "It looks like someone else might be using your account.
> To help you-and only you-get back in, we need to verify that it's yours."

Don't know if this will always work, for all providers, but I have set
torrc to use only exit nodes in my country or same country where I
signed up for the acct.
For some providers, that may work.  I tried it once w/ Yahoo, not
specifying exit node country & they gave the msg mentioned.

Reset exit nodes, got a *NEW* IP & dialed again.  This time no problem.
THAT time, appeared they were only looking at the country - not city,
state, province, etc.

It may not work in all cases, but worth a shot.  If a provider had any
sense, they'd allow the traveling user to answer secret questions, etc.

For the less security informed:  Don't choose secret questions like,
"What make was your 1st car" or "What is your favorite color," w/
answers like "Ford" or "Blue."  That's like shooting fish in a barrel to
a hacker.

Don't choose those type questions, if given an option.  If no choice for
questions, answer it w/ a nonsensical answer.  "First car:" = "bug guts
green"