[tor-talk] Torproject.org Being Censored in Canada

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 21:56:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.is> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:41:19 -0400
> Andrew Paolucci <adpaolucci at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I made a disturbing discovery for me and my fellow Canucks today when
>> I was sitting at a Tim Hortons(very popular coffee chain in Canada
>> that provides free WiFi) enjoying my coffee while working on my
>> laptop.
>
> Tim Horton's filters their wifi. Most coffee shops do. They subscribe,
> or use a 3rd party who subscribes, to commercial blocklists, like
> Websense, who classify torproject.org as a proxy avoidance site (why
> yes, yes we are and we're funded to do just that) as if the world will
> end when Tim Horton's can't stalk all their customers for datamining,
> malware protection, or "safety"--or whatever silly reason they have for
> censoring the Internet.
>
> About the only course of action is to complain to Tim Horton's every
> time.

Anecdotal evidence in my possession suggests that direct complaints
will not work.  That said, I do have some ideas that I'll bring up
with Andrew P offlist.

FWIW though, I *never* use open wifi, most especially
corporate-sponsored "free wifi" for the reasons mentioned above.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems