[tor-talk] Fwd: [Full-disclosure] tor vulnerabilities?

Cool Hand Luke coolhandluke at coolhandluke.org
Sat Jun 29 20:43:51 UTC 2013

the below text was posted to pastebin.com (see original e-mail to the
full-disclosure list at the end of this message).

- ----- BEGIN PASTEBIN -----
Tor LOL:

directory authorities are the point of contact for clients to locate
relays/exit nodes/guard nodes/etc. This is determined by a consensus
document that goes through an elaborate process to ensure its integrity
and cause bad directory authorities to be identified also via consensus.

However, Tor developers are not the quickest lot, and this is basically
the only document that they serve that has integrity control on it. Most
interestingly, the public keys for every other node in the network is
served without any form of signature or other form of integrity control.

As such, a rogue directory authority, which anyone can be simply with a
configuration option and an IP, can introduce path bias and other such
tricks by serving the wrong keys for relays/guards/exits that it doesnt
control. This can result in essentially directing clients through the
network by causing decryption failures, thereby allowing determination
of the source and end-point of a given tor connection with little more
than a couple relays and some rogue directory authorities. Moreover, it
can use the simple-minded metrics made to identify rogue guard nodes and
couple that together with the behavior of public key cryptography to
actually cause legitimate guard nodes to be flagged as having excessive
extend cell failures causing it ultimately to be marked as bad.

As such, this entirely mitigates the half-witted fixes guard nodes were
intended to fix, by introducing rogue guards that work in conjunction
with rogue directory authorities, whom serve bad public keys for all
nodes except for their own giving them the ability to cause clients to
reconnect to guard nodes at their leisure.

These are design flaws in tor. Don't outsource your security, especially
if its to people like appelbaum and other incompetents. The fact is the
US government doesn't need to backdoor Tor, they just get to let the
dunces think their competent.
- ----- END PASTEBIN -----

- -chl

- --