[tor-talk] Routing Jitsi through Tor

Anthony Papillion anthony at papillion.me
Sat Jun 29 20:15:03 UTC 2013

On 06/29/2013 02:31 AM, grarpamp wrote:
>> I've set up a XMPP server and my users are access through Jisti. I want
>> to allow them to connect via Tor if they want. But when I tried to help
>> Is there something I'm missing here? Is Jisti able to be routed through Tor?
>
> Use socks5 127.0.0.1 9050.
> So long as what you're doing uses TCP, you should be fine.
> If you're traversing an exit, try issuing a NEWNYM.
> Try to offer encrypted service, and pin down and verify the cert of
> any service used.

Thank you for the feedback! OK so, after reading this, I think the user
just wasn't waiting long enough for the connection to complete. It's a
TCP service so that's not a problem and we had it configured for Tor
over 9050. The only thing that didn't happen was issuing a NEWNYM
command. But would that have stopped the connection from happening?

Also, a quick question about the encryption service. I'm offering
SSL/TLS connections to the service. Is that what you mean or are you
talking encrypting something else still?

Thanks,
Anthony