[tor-talk] Until there's a REAL effing way to communicate, that evey1 can use, I'm DONE

Cat S catslovetor at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 18:38:51 UTC 2013

Hi adrelanos,

________________________________
 From: adrelanos <adrelanos at riseup.net>
To: tor-talk at lists.torproject.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Until there's a REAL effing way to communicate, that evey1 can use, I'm DONE

Cat S:
> I don't want to re-hash _years_ old debates, please read the bug
> report links and other links I posted to old tor-talk threads. That
> will explain why I and many others feel there should be an official
> Tor forum.
>
> TL;DR: Newbs won't use mailing-lists; mailing-lists are a entry
> barrier to newbs getting help. TBB is geared for newbs, yet we don't
> try to help them in an efficient and meaningful way.
>
> And I never suggested the mailing-lists should go away, the problem
> is mailing-lists only help a small sub-set of TBB users, those that
> don't really need basic newbish help.

So you should lobby for an research paper which objectively compares
newbies trying to use mailing lists for help comparing to newbies trying
to use forum xyz. Perhaps such as study already exists?

Unfortunately, thats nowadays the only way to make up your point for
many topics. Debating won't work here, it has been already proven that
discussion doesn't convince the other side.

At the moment most techies just don't believe or can't imagine that
anyone has more difficulties using a mailing list compared to a forum.

Yes, that's the major issue here:
Techies are looking at this from _their_ educated point of view, e.g. "I can do this in my sleep, so _everyone_ can do so too." And they _should_ instead be looking at it form the point of view of a 1st world grandmother or person living in a 3rd world area that has limited experience with the Internet.

I will hire a small army of grandmothers to carry our your proposed experiment, and once I have the data and the Tor Projected decides to not make a forum, I will send the army of grandmothers to Andrew to complain ;) (j/k)