[tor-talk] Plans about Askbot?

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Mon Jun 17 21:34:52 UTC 2013

Runa A. Sandvik:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Lunar <lunar at torproject.org> wrote:
> > One of the concern that was raised by Moritz is export capabilities of
> > Stack Exchange. How likely are we to switch to a self-hosted application
> > if it means losing data that had taken a lot of energy to assemble in
> > the first place?
>
> Who said we will lose data? AskBot supports importing data from Stack
> Exchange (I have not tested it myself, so I don't know how much work
> it requires): http://askbot.org/doc/import-data.html

Moritz mentioned that we would not be able to migrate user/reputation.
As such Q&A websites have an important social component (karma, badges,
and so on), volunteers who would have invested time and energy to build
a good reputation could be turned away by loosing all their stats
overnight.

Overall, I am not afrad of the import part: AskBot is free software.
It's getting data out of Stack Exchange that I am wondering about.

Looks like at least most data (except user logins, emails and passwords)
could be retrieved through <http://data.stackexchange.com/>, but it
looks a bit tedious to get a full export. Also, given there's a CAPTCHA,
I am not sure backups could be automated.

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>