[tor-talk] "Torifier" for Windows

Blibbet blibbet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 19:49:32 UTC 2013

> Is there a Tor Project sanctioned method to "torify"
> applications on Windows?
>
> On systems such as Linux there are wrappers like torify
> and torsocks. Windows does have some functional pseudo
> equivalents like FreeCap and other proprietary/closed
> applications.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has worked on something that can
> torify command line (say via Cygwin) or if the Tor project
> has a recommended method for torifying applications that
> lack native SOCKS support.

There is Torcap, but do not think it is maintained. Plus, it is written
in Delphi. And -- as I recall, it uses a injection library that ships
without source code.

http://freehaven.net/~aphex/torcap/

However, DLL injection isn't a complete solution on Windows. The proper
solution would require an NT driver. In the past, that'd be a TDI or
NDIS filter driver. With modern versions, it'd require Windows Filtering
Platform (WFP)-based driver, perhaps in conjunction with an NDIS filter.
AFAIK, Tor tends to prefer the virtualized Linux solution on Windows,
TBB or TAILs. Eg, see Andrew's comments here:
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Dec-2011/msg00230.html