[tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle 3.0alpha1 test builds

Matt Pagan matthew.a.pagan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 20:33:33 UTC 2013

Mike Perry:
> Matt Pagan:
>>>
>>> Not sure what 'system tor' is. I have older TBBs on the system, but
>>> they shouldn't do anything permanent to the system? Anyway, it crashes
>>> the same way after a reboot without having run the old TBB before.
>>>

>> My system Tor is long gone.
>
> Ok, we have a new hypothesis.
>
> One of the crash scenarios seems to be if you install to non-Desktop
> (such as C:\Program Files (x86)\) as Administratror, and then try to run
> it as non-Administrator.
>
> Are any of you who experience crashes installing to the Desktop (the
> default)?
>
> I confirmed that I am able to run TBB from the default Desktop location
> as both Admin and non-Admin Win7 users.

I have the Tor Browser Bundle installed on my Desktop. Running 'Start
Tor Browser' as Administrator and User has the same effect. The mouse
will indicate it is working in the background for a moment, and then no
window opens. It also does not matter if I unpack the file as
Administrator or User. Microsoft Security Essentials has not indicated
that it blocked anything. I wish I had the Windows 7 CD so I could
create a Windows 7 Virtual Machine, but I do not.

When I open 'Start Tor Browser' I notice a new process begins
WerFault.exe (Windows Problem Reporting) and then closes, but I don't
receive any error notification or message. I haven't had this problem
with any previous browser bundle.