[tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle 3.0alpha1 test builds

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 03:38:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Moritz Bartl <moritz at torservers.net> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> In short: This is awesome!
>
> I suggest to get some things fixed before you do a blog post :-)
>
> 32-bit vs. 64-bit:
> When I try to run the linux32 version on my 64bit system, it just says
> "Tor Browser exited abnormally. Exit code: 255". This should be fixed, a
> *lot* of users pick the wrong one. Probably the same is true for Mac. I
> wrote a small patch for the launcher that should detect this properly
> for Linux, and is easy to port to Mac. It's been in needs_review for 3
> months: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3841
Mac OS X may not be as simple as it appears. I believe 10.5 offers
32-bit OS that is capable of running 64-bit binaries.

You might need something that considers both hw.cpu64bit_capable and
hw.optional.x86_64. I believe you need to use hw.optional.x86_64 to
determine if 32-bit OS can run the 64-bit binaries.

A good discussion is at "determine if a CPU is Intel 64-bit,"
http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2013/Mar/msg00116.html.

Jeff