[tor-talk] Running a Tor exit node on a VPS: does location of node matter?

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Wed Jun 5 16:47:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 04:02:19PM +0100, Bernard Tyers - ei8fdb wrote:
> I am researching running a Tor exit node on a hosted VPS. I am currently looking at a big list of VPSs (www.lowendbox.com - thanks Moritz).
>
> Most are similar - bandwidth, RAM, disk, IPs, etc.
>
> For me as the operator of the node, does the location of the node, or more importantly the location of the datacentre/s where the VPS will live have any impact?
>
> As a European country citizen does it make sense to locate the node in the US/Canada/Asia/Europe?

Here are some useful useful links on running a Tor exit node...

The Legal FAQ for Tor Relay Operators
https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq.html.en

Tips for Running an Exit Node with Minimal Harassment
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment

GoodBadISPs
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs