[tor-talk] Tor disconnects and must be restarted while using OpenVPN

ef2k ef2k at tormail.org
Sun Jul 28 20:29:08 UTC 2013

Hi,
I'm trying to connect to an OpenVPN server for my general internet
traffic but keep Tor for DNS lookups and as a SOCKS5 proxy for a few
applications.

I connect to my OpenVPN server and everything works as expected, but
after 30-40 seconds (seems to depend on number of requests to Tor?), all
Tor requests just time out (incl. Tor DNS requests) and it's unusable.
If I restart Tor with "service tor restart" then it will work again for
another 30-40 seconds before it disconnects again.
Nothing is shown in Tor's log located at /var/log/tor/log about this.

My iptables rules are:
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -d 255.255.255.255 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s 255.255.255.255 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan+ -o tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -o wlan+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun+ -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A OUTPUT -o wlan+ ! -d *VPNIP* -j DROP

Hope someone can help to resolve this, it's very frustrating. Thanks in
advance.