[tor-talk] Hiding IP address from my ISP

krugar tor-admin at krugar.de
Fri Jul 26 19:53:49 UTC 2013

basically, what happens is this:

there are firms (or even government entities) that play along in the
bittorrent filesharing of copyrighted material on behalf of the
copyright owners to learn the other participants of the torrent swarm
(since bittorrent is a peer-to-peer file transfer protocol, you can
learn the IP addresses of other people that up/download the torrent as
well). then they look up which ISP owns that IP address and then,
depending on the country/legislation, they either subpoena the ISP for
your email/postal address, or they notify the ISP and the ISP is legally
bound to send you nasty emails and/or cut your connection on repeat
offenses ("three-strikes").

sidenote: those firms likely have to upload the copyrighted material to
the bittorrent swarm as well, they just do not send nasty letters to
themselves...

if you somehow managed to participate in a bittorrent filesharing swarm
via a VPN, those firms would only see the IP of your VPN server (at
least if everything actually works as intended/advertised). if that
server happens to be in another country were the copyright holder has no
legal standing, they cannot get back at you because the legal system of
that other country allows your VPN provider to not disclose your real IP
address (at least in theory),

there are very few VPN providers that accept actually protect their
customers in that way, even though all of them will claim that they do.
you should look for ones that accept anonymous payments and offer
service from interesting countries (if there are any interesting
countries left, that 3-strikes stuff has been spreading over europe like
a bushfire), but at least the former might change since the
visa/mastercard cartel has started to deny service to VPN providers.

at this point i would love to end with a recommendation for a service,
but sadly, i do not know any. if you find any VPN providers that aren't
running on insecure MSCHAP2, accept "anonymous" money (e.g.
cash-in-a-letter, bitcoin, paysafecard, whatever) and offer service from
jurisdictions that aren't beholden to hollywood, i guess there might be
some people on this list that are interested in that info.

cheers
-k