[tor-talk] Phones for Tor

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Thu Jul 25 19:59:59 UTC 2013

On 07/25/2013 03:29 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> But what privacy conscious people like those on this list would
> also want is the above described voice/SMS encryption over the cell network.
> Entirely different.

The issue with using the voice/SMS encryption on the cell network is
that unless you can get an unregistered SIM card, then all of the
traffic analysis "metadata" is easily tracked, stored and analyzed.

This is why I have been motivated to focus on IP-based voice and
messaging solutions, particularly those that can work over TCP and Tor.

Our app Gibberbot currently supports XMPP over Tor, and we are currently
adding push-to-talk voice messaging as part of that chat session in the
Fall sometime.

I understand your motivation towards wanting a non-IP encrypted voice
and SMS solution, but it has its own problems, and honestly, from my own
personal hands-on experience using them, they are very, very hard to
make work properly. Specifically, you need the CDPD network service (aka
the GSM "Fax" channel) to be available for use, and that just does not
happen very much any more.

+n