[tor-talk] NSA, Tempora, PRISM And Company always know who is behind Tor?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jul 21 11:06:31 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 03:43:55PM -0400, Nathan Suchy wrote:
> The NSA cannot always know who is behind Tor. This is due to the fast that

Tor is not designed to resist a global passive adversary.

> tor uses a circut guard - middle - exit and unless the NSA can get access
> to the guard's isp, the middle's isp, and the exit's isp which more than

The Internet topology is mostly a tree. Tapping the fiber at a few chokepoints
(e.g. 5 for Germany) is sufficient to access the bulk of traffic.
At a higher level, tapping the undersea fiber allows you to selectively
filter out a subset of interesting traffic, including ability to
intercept and store a subset of that subset entirely.

We do know that sigint is shared across jurisdictions as part of
extensive, informal intelligence collaboration.

Use Tor, but don't trust your life with it.