[tor-talk] Will Tor affect Internet Explorer? (newbie question)

Achter Lieber zzretro999 at email2me.net
Sun Jul 21 06:48:34 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Buck Calabro
Sent: 07/13/13 09:25 PM
To: tor-talk at lists.torproject.org
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Will Tor affect Internet Explorer? (newbie question)

On 13 July 2013 04:07, Gabrielle wrote: > > Okay. Now I'm officially confused. > > If I download Tor, can't I run it as a separate program from IE? > Can I run the two programs separately, like the proverbial ships in the night? Unfortunately, yes you can. > Can someone tell me exactly what it means to configure Tor through IE? > Can't I configure it by itself and continue to use the two independently of each other? Anonymity and security can't be sprayed on after the fact. They need to be built-in from the start. Tor is more than just a program that runs on your computer, it's sort of like a parallel internet that runs alongside the big internet, only more anonymously. Tor doesn't do something to your computer to make it safer, Tor carries your internet traffic over a safer route. Existing programs on your computer will continue to use the existing path to the big internet. Only programs that have been configured to use Tor will use this new, safer path. Re-configuring all your exis
 ting programs is a Very Large Job, and not easily done by beginners. For beginners, almost everyone recommends the Tor Browser Bundle because it already knows about Tor. _______________________________________________ tor-talk mailing list tor-talk at lists.torproject.org https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-talk
HI.
Excuse me for popping in but are you saying that any other program I use that interacts with the internet,
(while using Tor) is "not configured to use Tor" unless I personally and manually configure it?
And this even though I use the Browser Bundle for Windows?
Actually I am not aware that I am using any other programs while using Tor but I am
not really sure.
If what I have asked is true, then would you please direct me to the instructions I would need to
follow in order to configure other programs? That would be a big help and how do I determine
which programs are interacting with the internet?
Could a printer or another software that I have check for updates or something like that and reveal
information about me or my machine?
Thanks in advance.