[tor-talk] Hidden Service Scaling --- How bad is it?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 04:02:20 UTC 2013

> I read on the tor blog that Hidden services do not scale well and there are
> several potential attack vectors on hidden services.  Also, they are very
> slow.    How slow are we talking?

They do have deanon attack you can read about that take
a while and some cost to perform. I believe it is thought by the
project to be a fairly high priority to look at and modify.

I find them acceptable performance. Bulk transfers proceed as
expected from least bandwidth available, session setup is ok
and you can have many connections up to a point. Though Tor
is low latency, its jitter is high so test if you need that.