[tor-talk] Using Mumble with Tor

mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon Jul 15 04:05:34 UTC 2013

On 07/15/2013 02:58 AM, adrelanos wrote:

> David Huerta:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've put together a guide on how to use Mumble (TCP only!) with Tor if
>> anyone would find that sort of thing handy:
>> http://huertanix.tumblr.com/post/55261352264/location-anonymous-voice-communication-a-step-by-step.
>
> Thanks for doing that. Seems you're good at writing tutorials. Maybe we
> can share/remix? Under which license is your tutorial?
>
> Some time ago I wrote about anonymous Voip as well, although its a bit
> Whonix specific, since the confidence of not leaking anything comes from
> the Whonix design. Many other points are portable though, it also
> includes using Voip clients/ZRTP.
>
> I recommended using a hidden service as mumble server.
>
> https://whonix.org/wiki/Voip

You can also run an openvpn server as a hidden service, and use Mumble
in UDP data mode through the VPN (which is in TCP mode).

It would be interesting to compare performance of the two approaches.
But that would be hard without talking :(

>> Some stuff that's been pointed out since posting:
>>
>> * If someone could monitor the connections being made to the server and
>> log which times of the day people were connecting at, they might be able
>> to tell when you're asleep and not talking and thus tip off what side of
>> the hemisphere you're on, assuming a non-night-owl sleep cycle.
>
> This is a general problem when using pseudonyms.

It helps to have a random sleep cycle ;)

>> * Assuming it can be detected after being filtered/optimized to a pulp,
>> the hum of the mains frequency of the electrical grid might tip off
>> which country you're in based in.
>
> Yes, and a voice recording of yours leads straight to you (voice
> recognition)? I assume the voice of every person has made a
> non-anonymous call and been sampled at least once (PRISM), probable a
> sane assumption. Comparing that with a voice sample from the anonymous
> server, and its no longer anonymous.

That's an excellent reason to use voice judiciously.

> In conclusion, I think the only safe use cases for Voip or Tor are
> location hiding while not being anonymous; hiding who is talking to
> whom; and talking to people you trust while hiding that you are talking
> to them and your locations from outside observers.

Voice <> anonymity.