[tor-talk] Off topic. What's the extent of the spying

Juan Garofalo juan.g71 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 21:49:33 UTC 2013

At 04:30 PM 7/9/2013 -0400, you wrote:
>> Can they meaningfully browse all the data?
>
>De-anonymizing does not necessarily mean being
>able to read the content, only about establishing
>the network. Network analysis is powerful on its own.
>But without the content or other metrics it could just be chat
>about the weather. Tor encrypts the content traversing its
>network even while one or both endpoints become known.

        Sorry, my bad. I wasn't very clear. What I'm wondering (first) is if the US gov't and its accomplices can analyze clearnet traffic with enough accuracy to know what (virtually all) users(or at least IP addys) are doing. Can they for instance pick a residential IP address from a city in japan or germany or thailand, and know what the user is doing? (downloading porn, chatting on irc...using Tor...etc). I'm assuming that's something that 'local' ISPs can trivially do? So, what about the NSA?