[tor-talk] Attracting more community input on Tor issues

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sun Jan 27 16:16:45 UTC 2013

Hi Raynardine,

On 27.01.2013 04:47, Raynardine wrote:
> I think better engagement with the Tor community would be easier with a
> StatusNet instance run as a hidden service.
> I also think that a mailing list mirror or relay run as a Tor hidden
> service might encourage more Tor users to subscribe.

Why? I think this is a common misunderstanding about what hidden
services do: They provide anonymity for operators, at the expense of
adding an additional 3 hops.

Users can already be anonymous (eg. on our mailing list or identi.ca or
some other StatusNet instance) just by using Tor, and since Torproject
would be the (known) operators, it does not really make any sense.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/