[tor-talk] problems with TorBirdy

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sat Feb 23 07:30:59 UTC 2013

JerryR:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is a list for Tor-related issues, but I hope to get a answer
> for a problem with TorBirdy at Thunderbird and the last update for the
> TorBrowser. Well, it doesn't work - the torrc now uses the "SocksPort
> 9150", I changed the TH to the configuration recommended in
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/EMail/Thunderbird

Yeah...

I'm sorry that TorBirdy wasn't ready for the change to 9150. It was a
bit of a surprise, actually. By dropping the Vidalia bundle, we really
put people in a tough space - users either need a system tor (```apt-get
install tor```) or they'll have to have the TBB.

> And used this port - instead of the 9050 - and it worked. I know it's a
> poor solution, and I was wondering if it can be fixed at the
> ConfigEditor of the TH - an update on TorBirdy could be great thou, but
> I think the fix @TH can do the trick.

It is indeed a poor solution but it is actually the best of all the bad
solutions without a system tor managed by a package manager.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jerry
>
> PS: I also tried to change the value of the socks port in the TH config
> - from 9050 to 9150 - with no results.

This creates an interesting problem - basically everyone with a system
Tor would be out of luck because of an arbitrary TBB configuration
value. Is that really the right direction? I think that tor in TBB
shouldn't be used as a system wide tor - others might think otherwise.

All the best,
Jacob