[tor-talk] TorBrowser update???

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Feb 21 00:31:38 UTC 2013

On 2/20/2013 10:47 AM, JerryR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list, thank you all for your work and efforts; I've
> been using the TorBrowser for a while now, yesterday I tried to update
> it (tor-browser-2.3.25-2_en-US.exe), but, the "There is a security
> update...." keeps showing up, I already downloaded it twice, and
> couldn't fix it. Is there something I can do? Or another download site?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jerry

Did you extract the latest TBB into a new location or over the top of
old one?

Either way, when you're sure the version you're using is x.x.x, & if you
look in about:config for an entry that lists the tor browser version (&
it's different), that's where it's getting the version #, & why it's
still prompting for an update.
That may not be YOUR case, but it can happen if you copy part / all of
the old pref.js file into a new version profile.  Then it copies over
the old version #.  There could be other reasons.

If you did something like that & you KNOW you're using the latest
version, you can either try extracting it again, or just change the
about:config value.