[tor-talk] Legal problems: TOR relay & Torrents in .de

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sat Feb 16 15:04:55 UTC 2013

On 2/16/2013 6:44 AM, Nick Sheppard wrote:
> On 04/02/13 12:33, Hendrik Neumann wrote:
>>
>> I've been running an exit node from my home network for ca. a year or
>> so. Now I've receviced mail from 21st Century Fox's lawyers in Germany
>> accusing me of torrenting a movie. Since all I offer via Torrent are
>> some old PC-BSD-ISOs and "House on Haunted Hill", I'm pretty sure it
>> must have been a user from the TOR network.
>>

> Hi Hendrik,
> Second, this immediate demand for money.  In my experience, real
> lawyers work much more slowly than this (after all, they can charge
> for every letter they write).  First one or two demands that you stop
> what you're doing, then a threat of eventual legal action, and so on.
> If they want to build a case against you that will stand up in court,
> they would usually have to show that you were given fair warning, and
> then wilfully and knowingly persisted in your evil-doing for a
> substantial time.
Nick, you could be right about a scam - at least warrants some
consideration.  But in many countries, if one breaks an actual LAW,
there's no *requirement* for anyone to give the accused any "warning" or
Cease & Desist Letter, before filing civil or criminal charges.  In
civil law issues, they MIGHT give a warning (like to take down
copyrighted material from a website), but they certainly wouldn't be
required to, if they can prove you broke laws & if the damages allowed
by local law / courts for a given offense, make it worthwhile to file a
law suit.  If it's legit, they either have enough evidence or they don't.