[tor-talk] Email provider for privacy-minded folk

scarp scarp at tormail.org
Tue Feb 12 10:08:25 UTC 2013

I rather like tormail, because the provider can't hand over any
information even if they wanted to. You access it via a .onion so the
actual locations of the remailers is unknown.

> None of Tor Mail's mail systems are hosted on this server, or on
> any server that you can find the IP address. Siezing or shutting
> down this web site will have no effect on Tor Mail's services.

> Tor Mail consists of several servers, a Tor hidden service, and an
> incoming and outgoing internet facing mail servers. These internet
> facing mail servers are relays, they relay mail in and out of the
> Tor network, the relays are purchased anonymously and not tracable
> to us. The only thing stored on the hard drive of those servers is
> the Exim mail server, and the Tor software. No emails or logs or
> anything important are stored on those servers, thus it doesn't
> matter if they are seized or shut down. We are prepared to quickly
> replace any relay that is taken offline for any reason.

> Tor Mail's goal is to provide completely anonymous and private
> communications to anyone who needs it. We are anonymous and cannot
> be forced to reveal anything about a Tor Mail user.

> You can only sign up and access Tor Mail via our Tor Hidden
> Service, we do not ask for any identifying information such as name
> or address, our service is free so we do not have billing
> information and tor hidden services cannot see your IP so we have
> no way to identify any user.

Sensitive or private communication, should be encrypted with pgp, and
this must be at the user's end, ie with enigmail+thunderbird for example.

Any web-mail provider that does 'pgp' or stores your pgp keys isn't
beyond handing those keys over. I think in the past hushmail has done so.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/11/encrypted-e-mai/

Unfortunately I've found a couple of problems, sometimes I get a
message from the tor-talk mailing list like:

> Your membership in the mailing list tor-talk has been disabled due
> to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
> DD-MMM-YYYY.

However clicking the link in the email seems to fix it. I'm on some
other mailing lists like liberationtech I haven't had any issues.

- --
scarp | A4F7 25DB 2529 CB1A 605B  3CB4 5DA0 4859 0FD4 B313