[tor-talk] Vanity onion attacks

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 12:14:40 UTC 2013

With the advent of super fast onion address generators it's become not
too uncommon for hidden services to use vanity addresses, but this
seems to have brought about some vanity attacks where people grind out
lookalike addresses to setup fake sites. People then do a poor job
visually comparing them as the vanityness practically demands.

I've heard from some people getting tricked by some of these, but I
don't have any idea how common it is in general.

I wonder if anyone is enumerating hidden services and can post some
stats on how many low edit-distance names they're seeing in the
directory?