[tor-talk] TBB 3.5 and Debian Repo

anonymous palehorse at riseup.net
Fri Dec 27 03:03:58 UTC 2013

Lunar:
> anonymous:
>> I would like to use the Tor broswer along with the tor and tor-arm
>> packages from the Debian repo.
>
> I don't really understand why add extra complications and not directly
> use the Tor Browser Bundle. Why is preventing you from using the bundled
> Tor instance?
>
> You can use tor-arm with the Tor Browser Bundle. Just issue
> `arm -i 9151` on a command-line.
>
>> In the past it has been possible to do so by disabling the
>> tor-launcher in the start-tor-broswer script, but this no longer
>> works.
>
> You should be able to set the environment variable `TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1`,
> like:
>
>     TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1 ./start-tor-browser
>
>> Can someone please explain to me what the base tor package has to do
>> with Firefox add-ons and how this would be different between debian
>> and the bundle?
>
> Removing or adding add-ons from the Tor Browser might give to your own
> browser a specific fingerprint.
>
>> Also, isn't it hypocritical to suggest users run a tor relay from the
>> debian package while using the TBB for browsing alongside as well?
>
> Why would it be a problem?
>
>> I seem to recall the project frowning upon Tor over Tor situations in
>> the past, but perhaps this has changed.
>
> Running two instances of the tor daemon on one system will not create a
> Tor over Tor situation. There's just two distinct tor daemons. One
> acting as an “Onion Proxy”, the other as an “Onion Router”.

thank you for the response lunar.  The skip command will indeed open the
browser but it doesn't play nicely with about:tor or the torbutton, so I
am no longer comfortable with this.

> I don't really understand why add extra complications and not directly
> use the Tor Browser Bundle. Why is preventing you from using the
bundled Tor instance?

This release is drastically different from the previous Vidalia bundled
ones.  In the past I have always found running both monitors together to
be overkill and unnecessarily taxing on my aging desktop relay.
However, since manually killing Vidalia is no longer a concern I would
agree that there seems to be no benefit to this approach.  Also, I have
been using the apt repo for so long now I never learned that arm
command, so thank you for that!