[tor-talk] VPS Suggestions for Middle Relay

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Thu Dec 19 15:04:28 UTC 2013

David:
> So I'm looking to spend around $20-$30 dollars a month, and was
> wondering if this awesome list had any recommendations?
>
> Online.net has some very cheap unmetered dedicated servers, and I hear
> that they're currently changing their policy to allow middle relays, but
> I've also heard that they have been terrible in the past with shutting
> down relays. Anyone have any comments on this?

(The question might have been better suited to the tor-relays mailing
list.)

AS12876 now hosts 13% of the network:
<https://compass.torproject.org/#?ases=AS12876&top=-1>

That makes it the most important autonomous system of the whole network,
before Hetzner and OVH:
<https://compass.torproject.org/#?top=10&by_as>

I strongly recommend not adding more relays there, especially as Tor
does not currently have an AS-aware path selection algorithm.

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>