[tor-talk] Android browser?

Mark McCarron mark.mccarron at eclipso.eu
Mon Dec 9 01:11:58 UTC 2013

Mark McCarron

Nathan Freitas <nathan at freitas.net> wrote:
>On 12/07/2013 07:59 PM, Mark McCarron wrote:
>> I would be wary of Android.  Its is complex to secure given the
>closed nature of most handsets.
>
>Do you have a mobile OS of choice that you feel is more trustworthy, or
>are you referring to smartphones in general?

It is the closed nature of the device that leaves a sense of distrust.  With respect to the OS, I don't think any OS could be declared safe without some form of analysis by AI specifically designed to review code and test against hardware.

I would like to see an open source effort to deliver such testing and certification.

>> Unless manufactures provide the complete source, tools to flash
>chips, proper docs on chips and devices unlocked, I would never use
>such device for secure access to Tor.
>
>Do you hold your desktop/laptop computing manufacturers to the same
>standard?

I would really like to.

>> Presuming these devices have been designed to be accessible by
>governments is a wise bet. It probably the real reason behind devices
>not providing root access or the ability to do custom installs and the
>various laws to enforce that.
>
>You might be interested in our work documenting and teaching people how
>to build as free and secure as possible mobile computing devices on
>Android tablets without basebands:
>https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/libro/wiki
>
>+n

I will check it out, thanks,