[tor-talk] tor mention in newle released snowden documents

Rejo Zenger rejo at zenger.nl
Sun Dec 1 08:36:10 UTC 2013

++ 30/11/13 22:16 -0500 - andrew at torproject.is:
>: See: <http://issuu.com/pimvandendool/docs/document03>. New document,
>: (really) briefly mentioning the efforts of the Dutch intelligence
>: services identifying Tor-users. Attempts are made by hacking into
>: servers running fora, obtaining the logfiles, sql-databases, etc, then
>: combining and analyzing all available data (and hoping a user once
>: didn't use Tor while accessing the forum).
>
>From what we can gather, they're talking about hidden services. See
>https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2011-September/021198.html.

This is not the same. Roger's e-mail is on the efforts of the Dutch
police, I was mentioning efforts of the Dutch secret services. The Dutch
secret services are all about national security, not about sexual abuse
of childeren.

>It's not clear if they are also breaking into non-hidden service sites as well.

I am pretty sure they do, both. And when they do, they do this, amongst
other things, in an attempt to identify the users that are using those
forums via the Tor network.

If this is an important distinction to any of you of the TP, let me know
and I'll see what details I can find out (as the document is only
partially released, there must be more information).

--
Rejo Zenger . <rejo at zenger.nl> . 0x21DBEFD4 . <https://rejo.zenger.nl>
GPG encrypted e-mail preferred . +31.6.39642738 . @rejozenger