[tor-talk] PirateBrowser download count

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 11:56:43 UTC 2013

>From mail with PirateBrowser admin contact...

>>> On Sat 31 Aug 2013 08:46 +0000, <auto560120 at hushmail.com> wrote:
>>> Around 550000 installs, don't have any graphs, or per day stats,
>>> just the total. And it's the same version that have been shipped
>>> all along, so no changes, shipping started on the 10th with most
>>> downloads during the first week.

>> <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you. May I quote this private thread to the public tor-talk
>> list?

> On Sat 31 Aug 2013 10:50 +0000, <auto560120 at hushmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, no problems.

Ok, thanks, I bcc'd this your way.

https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=direct-users&start=2013-08-01&end=2013-08-31
https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html?graph=dirbytes&start=2013-08-01&end=2013-08-31#dirbytes

We didn't see the breakout till the 19th. Which is the week after
 'shipping started on the 10th with most downloads during the first
  week'.

Depending upon the number of users adopting PirateBrowser and turning
into daily running users, it seems we would have seen at least some
permanent bump before the 19th, but we don't.

And even if 100% of the quoted downloads cut spontaneously over to
full time users a week later, that's only half our current 1M growth.
Though  the '550000 installs' may only count webinstalls, not other
sources. And by then user's copy could have come from anywhere,
including the two obvious torrents [1]. Currently, the torrent cloud
for v0.6b has around 3.0-5.5k seeds depending on the tracker. I
didn't check ver0.5b.

If the PirateBrowser folks somehow track and can forward a 'currently
online' count that would be helpful to subtract from Tor's apparent
1M new continuous users.

[1] v0.5b on tpb and v0.6b on piratebrowser.com. The various release
timestamps all range from from 03:00 to 14:00 Aug 10.